[wp-hackers] Community conventions for custom post types?

onlyunusedname onlyunusedname at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:41:42 UTC 2012

Thanks, Otto.  I think maybe I will try to collect some thoughts and see if
they appeal to anyone else.

Thanks also, Lionel.

I was originally given to believe that you should never do with custom
taxonomies what you could just as well do with native taxonomies.  I
believed (and still sort of believe) that your WordPress data degrades more
gracefully if it is all just posts and pages and categories and tags and
post formats.

The problem I was having with this ideal is that while it is intuitive to a
WP developer brain to think of every sort of content as either a post or a
page, it was much less intuitive to my clients.  And I started to worry
that I was sacrificing an elegant CMS user experience on the altar of best
practices.  More and more I catch myself straying the other direction,
making a garbled mess of the WP database towards the end of a beautiful,
easy, CMS user experience for users who simply prefer this to the
intangible benefit of interoperability.

It seems like lots of developers are doing this.  Some very cleverly.  But
no two identically.  I feel like if we could make a collaborative
repository of these sorts of innovations, we could sort of make common
cause between developers who love WordPress for its amazing flexibility and
developers who love WordPress for its interoperability.