[wp-hackers] WP Query get dynamic category ID/ CPT

Lee Rickler info at a5d.org
Mon Apr 30 13:37:45 UTC 2012

Here's one where I'm stumped (regularly happens, I know!)

I have a custom post type (Photos) -> each CPT can be added to various categories.

I need to pull info from the same CPT and also a specific category, depending on which page you're on.

For example:
Current page: Shops
Category: London
CPT: Photos

or

Current page: Shops > London
Category: Sweets
CPT: Photos

There are many, many pages and categories.

My question - Can the category be pulled dynamically (by ID or name) depending on which page you're on?

<?php $loop = new WP_Query( array( 'post_type' => 'shops', 'showposts' => 999, 'category' => 'THIS NEEDS TO BE DYNAMIC DEPENDING ON WHAT PAGE YOU'RE ON' ) ); ?>
<?php while ( $loop->have_posts() ) : $loop->the_post(); ?>

... do some stuff ...

<?php endwhile; ?>

This one has had me stumped for at least a good while, and might be simply staring me in the face, so I thank you in advance for any pointers.

Lee