[wp-hackers] Issue with Custom Post Type Archive and custom search form

Becky Resler becky.absolute at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 21:52:39 UTC 2012

I'm creating a plugin that sets up a job board for a client's website. I
set up a custom post type for the job openings and a custom taxonomy for
job opening categories.

When I set up the custom post type, I set it to have have an archive
page. The code for my CPT is below.

$labels = array(
                     'name'                  => _x('Job Openings', 'post
type general name'),
                     'singular_name'         => _x('Job Opening', 'post
type singular name'),
                     'add_new'               => _x('Add New',
'job_opening'),
                     'add_new_item'          => __('Add New Job Opening'),
                     'edit_item'             => __('Edit Job Opening'),
                     'new_item'              => __('New Job Opening'),
                     'view_item'             => __('View Job Opening'),
                     'search_items'          => __('Search Job Openings'),
                     'not_found'             => __('No job openings found'),
                     'not_found_in_trash'    => __('No job openings
found in Trash'),
                     'parent_item_colon'     => __('Parent Job Opening:'),
                     'menu_name'             => __('Job Openings')
                 );

         $args = array(
                     'labels'                => $labels,
                     'public'                => true,
                     'publicly_queryable'    => true,
                     'show_ui'               => true,
                     'show_in_menu'          => true,
                     'show_in_nav_menus'     => true,
                     'query_var'             => true,
                     'capability_type'       => 'post',
                     'hierarchical'          => false,
                     'menu_position'         => 20,
                     'supports'              => array('title', 'editor',
'author'),
                     'has_archive'           => 'job-board',
                     'can_export'            => true,
                     'rewrite'               => array('slug' =>
'job-board/%post_id%', 'with_front' => false)
                 );

I have a custom template for the archive for my custom post type. On
that template, I have added a search form to filter down the results by
keyword, category (custom taxonomy), author, and a couple custom meta
values. The form is posting to the archive page.

I'm hooking into the *request* filter to add my filters to the query ...
add_filter('request', array(&$this, 'modify_job_board_archive_query'));

Things are working just fine except for when I filter by category or
author. When I filter by category, the category archive template is used
rather than the custom post type archive template. Same thing with the
author ... author archive template is used.

I can't figure out where to hook into to make sure that my custom post
type archive template is used.

Any ideas? Or won't I be able to hook into the core WordPress
functionality for this?

Thanks in advance.

Becky