[wp-hackers] Multisites at different locations (neither domain-based, nor directory-based).

Дилян Палаузов dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org
Sat Apr 14 12:00:11 UTC 2012

Hello,

On my server I host a multi-site Wordpress 3.3.1 installation.  The
different blogs shall appear under different URLs, that cannot be said
as just "directory-bases multi-site" or "domain-based multi-site".  E.g.
the word press multisite was installed under the URL
"http://example.org/~user1".  Then some blogs were added
"http://example.org/~user1/blog1" and "http://example.org/~user1/blog2".
  Now, the user bought a domain "blog2.org", so the blog2 shall be
visible under "http://blog2.org", "http://www.blog2.org" and
"http://example.org/~user1/blog2".  However wordpress stores the links
(of the uploaded pictures) as absolute links, so if the link is stored
as "http://example.org/~user1/blog2/article3", when viewed under
"http://blog2.org" the link will redirect to
"http://example.org/~user1/blog2".

This shall be further extended with a third blog, which shall run under
http://blog3.blog2.org .

Is there a way for the webserver to pass to index.php appropriate
parameters (blog main URL, and "article-properties", e.g.
wordpress-installation/index.php?blog=blog2&url=blog2.org&article=article3),
so that Wordpress generates the right links in the resulting page (not
referencing to http://example.org/~user1/blog2, but to
http://blog2.org), and does not store internally the absolute URLs.

If there is currently no way to achieve this, and you agree that such a
feature would be nice, but nobody wants to implement it, can you explain
what needs to be changed approximately in the Wordpress core to have
this feature there?

Thanks in advance for your answer
   Дилян