[wp-hackers] Plugin Authors: Major Plugin Upgrade Question

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Mon Apr 9 18:06:56 UTC 2012

I've gone through this same issue with some of my own systems - the 1.x
data system was different enough from the 2.x system that they were
incompatible.

Ideally, you would include some kind of auto-update script with the plugin.
 Perhaps export your data to a flatfile and then reimport it (so you could
resume if something times out in the process).  But if there is a lot of
manual intervention required, I would recommend creating a new plugin and
referring people to it.

Just know that if you do create a new plugin ... existing users will never
see an update notice.  Most people skip reading the readme anyway, so
you're likely to lose customers in the transition.