[wp-hackers] Register_Taxonomy, when is it needed?

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:43:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Haluk Karamete <halukkaramete at gmail.com>wrote:

> What happens if I do NOT use the "register_taxonomy" function that
> registers the "audience" taxonomy at all whatsoever

You will not be able to use any of the taxonomy functions, such as
get_terms() or do taxonomy queries using WP_Query.

And why wasn't WordPress code & db structure implemented in a way so that
> the arguments passed within the register_taxonomy function ( such as
> rewrite_url or hierarchical TRUE/FALSE etc ) are stored in some database
> table?

We could store all those options as a serialized array in the wp_options
table, but there's really no point, since we don't have any UI for
registering taxonomies from wp-admin.

--
http://scribu.net