[wp-hackers] pulling the tags

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:15:25 UTC 2012

I am simply exploring the idea of getting more mileage out of using the
tags ( which is non-hierarchial in nature ).

When I display my tag list for that custom taxonomy for my users, instead
of displaying the huge list in a mixed form, I am trying to achieve the
ability to groupe them.
And for that, I'm thinking of using the simple prefix "-".

With that in mind, I should be able to display the same tag list as follows;

 Baseball
 Basketball
 Boxing
 Soccer
-----------------------------------
 Michael Jordan
 Babe Ruth
 Muhammad Ali
 Jim Brown
 Jesse Owens
 Joe Louis
 Sonny Liston
 Ronaldinho

Isn't it a useful UI for my users and pretty much effortless to achieve?

But again, back to the original question;

What happens to the urls ( and slugs ) for those tags that are
prefixed with a "-"?

And what happens to the tag searches? Will my users be able to find
Soccer players by simply typing "soccer" into the search tags box that I
provide for them or is it that they are going to have to type in "-soccer"
instead?