[wp-hackers] how big objects can i cache using wp transient api?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 30 13:52:01 UTC 2011

The option_value is longtext, which has a maximum size of 2^32-1
(4,294,967,295) characters.

In practical terms, the limit will be lower, but there's no particular
issue with storing large data values in a transient. You may have
speed issues in retrieving something that large from the database very
often though. I'd suggest evaluating what parts of the data you
actually need to use and store only those. If you're using the whole
thing, then maybe another approach would work better, such as storing
it in a custom post type.

-Otto