[wp-hackers] Can Apache be used to Load Balance Wordpress

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Wed Sep 28 21:54:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 19:02, Joseph Pitts <jpitts at hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> I'll try to be brief as possible.
>
> I have set up 2 2008R2 servers each with WAMP 2.1 which uses Apache2.2.17.
> On Server A the Apache document root and <Directory directive> has been
> changed from the default to D:www. I installed WP 3.2 into this document
> root in a directory called blog. The blog is working fine from the apache
> 2.2.17 instance on Server A.
>
> This [D:www]directory has been configured on Server A as both an NFS and
> SAMBA share using File Services-Share and Storage management.
>
> On Server B, WAMP 2.1 Has also been installed and the Apache document root
> in httpd.conf and the <Directory directive> is pointed at the Server A
> document root [D:\www] using the UNC format of //Server A/www/. Apache is
> also running on Server B as administrator to enable network access since
> the
> Local System account has no network access.
>
> Lastly I must state that all of this is located in a DMZ so there is no
> 'domain' or 'domain accounts' both servers are in workgoroup. So far I have
> not been able to get Server B to serve anything from the document root on
> Server A. Is this at all feasible???
>
> I've already read that Apache cannot use a mapped network resource as
> document root.
>
> Is there any way for Apache to serve wordpress from a non local i.e.
> network
> resource document root?

You need to look into reverse proxying with Apache on Server B.

That is, requests for //serverb/blog/someurl are served by Apache B, but it
requests its content from server A (and changes all the urls along the way.)

But, that's not really load balancing because server A still has to do all
the work.

Mike
--
Mike Little