[wp-hackers] Hookd? Sketchy Plugin Include

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Sep 14 01:03:45 UTC 2011

Well, the site itself is down, but Google has a cache of the text, at
least: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TN9eReW6ak0J:hookd.org/+hookd&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

"hookd is a free plugin management and analytics package for widgets
and plugins. the system runs totally platform independent and allows
you to provide easy to maintain hooks for your plugins, one such use
can be dynamic code updates and automatic rollbacks which are not
currently easily implemented otherwise.
hookd also acts as a plugin analytics system, it will track your
activations per day, deactivations per day, total running sites, usage
figures and much more."

Yeah. This is not allowed in the repository. We consider it to be
"unauthorized collection of user data". Not to mention that when the
site it's contacting goes down, the plugin and the sites trying to
call it stop working.

Bottom line: No making hits to any third party site, for any reason,
without the user's informed, or obvious, consent.

For example, it's fine for a Facebook plugin to make calls to
Facebook, as that's rather obvious. A user activating such a plugin
would expect that to happen. It's not okay for a "Hit Counter" plugin
to be contacting a plugin analytics site (without a checkbox to allow
the user to consent to it).

The plugin has been de-listed, and the author will be contacted
shortly. But next time, email plugins at wordpress.org first.

-Otto