[wp-hackers] contributors editing live posts

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 16:56:35 UTC 2011

I have a client who wants contributors to be able to edit live posts
and submit their revisions for review.

Now, it's not a request I've come across before, but it seems like
quite a standard content management requirement. A contributor creates
a post, submits it for review, it gets published by an editor. But how
do they submit changes? (Obviously we're more in the realm of custom
posts, but I'm using "posts" in this loose sense rather than just
thinking of blog posts.)

Obviously if you needed multiple people to submit edits to a live
post, you'd need a full post version control system. But surely a
contributor could be allowed to edit a live post they created, and
have the "Update" button be "Submit changes for review"? The current
version stays live, and the new one goes into the revisions list... oh
wait, here's where it trips up. There's just "revision" post types. I
guess you'd need a "change-for-review" post type for editors to
approve (or not)?

My main question here are:

1. Has anyone cracked this, with a plugin? I found
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/live-drafts/ - it's not quite what
I'm thinking of, but maybe a starting point.

2. If this has never been done before (!), am I thinking about it in
the right way? Is it doable?

3. If it's doable, any plans for it in the core?

Thanks,

Steve