[wp-hackers] to use or not to use a custom taxonomy

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Oct 31 22:48:11 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Haluk Karamete wrote:
> when you display the cats, of course, you would not want to display it
> as politics, sports, entertainment and then boom media (cat11)...
> why? cause media is a whole different facet...

Focus on what is most usable and don't worry about the JOINs.   So create a custom taxonomy called "Media."

> here what I'm trying to understand is.... as I create more and more
> CT's, my JOINs will be slower and slower...

You misunderstand. Creating another custom taxonomy does not add a JOIN, unless you are querying by both Category and by Media in which case you'll have more JOINs either way you do it, maybe even more if you use subcategories.

Worry about performance when performance becomes a real problem. Most of the time WordPress won't cause you performance issues unless you start trying to "out-think" WordPress' already built in optimizations.

From [1]: "We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil"

Hope this helps.

-Mike
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_optimization#When_to_optimize: