[wp-hackers] Configuring WordPress Environment / Server

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Mon Oct 31 13:01:57 UTC 2011

Pe 30.10.2011 23:00, Jeffrey Nolte a scris:
> Hello WP Hackers,
>
> I am in the process of setting up a development / hosting environment for all of the WordPress sites we develop and thought I could look to the community for some insight / options.   I have listed below what we currently have setup and would love some insight if I am headed in the right direction or if anyone can share their own experience. Having worked with WordPress for the past several years, we are now moving in the direction of solely working with WordPress as our go to platform and this is the first step.

My only suggestion is to decide promptly what are you going to do:
1. write code
2. manage/host environments

Because if you are doing #1, it's easy, just go with whatever setup you
want as Mike suggested, separately in case of every client. When it
comes to production deployments, get a cloud solution like pagodabox.com
and "give the keys to the client".
The reason I suggest this, is because usually, you will need to scale
and optimize after some time, and once again, if you are going to do #1
you will need to solve problems your team wasn't hired to solve (and
will usually ain't going to solve those very well).

But if you are going with #2, I would start by reviewing the hosting
provider and resources you plan spending on that. After what, hire a
good sysadmin (start with a part time collaboration if needed) that will
be able to assist you any time in such questions.

The problem here is that a lot of people think that hosting WordPress is
that easy (buy a vps and `apt-get install _l(n/a)mp_`). The short story
is that if it was like that, companies like Automattic and Page.ly would
never existed. That's why *it's wrong* to think so.

Good luck!