[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Mon Oct 31 09:46:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 21:59, Marcus Pope <Marcus.Pope at springbox.com>wrote:

> Greetings all, just wanted to propose another option for exploring the
> technical distinctions between root relative and absolute urls.  Since it
> has been made clear here that a lot of people care passionately about each
> side of the coin, and that a lot of people don't care about the coin at
> all, I propose that we move the discussion to a different forum.  You don't
> have to participate, and if you want to continue participating here then
> you are of course at liberty to do so.  However for the sake of those who
> are sick of reading through novels of a discussion they don't care about (a
> good portion of wp-users) would everyone mind moving the discourse to here?
>
>    http://groups.google.com/group/absolute-vs-relative/
>
> It will allow us to discuss details about the two perspectives without
> hijacking this mailing list, which I admit I started.  Had I known it would
> get this out of hand I would have started with a different forum to begin
> with.
>
> Mike, I would really appreciate your input there.  I know you have a deep
> understanding of the wordpress core, and I think you would be the best
> candidate for pointing out the problems with root relative urls.  If at the
> very least, I would like to discuss our last topic as I have discovered how
> wordpress does actually change content urls in addition to system urls.
>  I'd like to hear your perspective on this and what implications it has on
> converting to root relative urls that do not need the change.  I also sent
> you an email via zed1.com, with my personal email address if you'd rather
> discuss via direct email.

Thank you for the invitation, you honour me, but I have no time nor
interest in debating in support of the status quo that I happen to agree
with.

But I'll leave you with this thought: we, hackers and developers on this
mailing list, are a tiny, tiny, minority of WordPress users. And WordPress
is a user's tool first and foremost. I agree with that and it should not
change.

It doesn't matter if something that we developers have to do to move a site
to live, or to publish a new version of a site for client approval, is
awkward, or takes more steps than would be ideal, or even is prone to
errors; the guiding light for core functionality in WordPress is the users
and the user experience.

I whole-heartedly support that. So anything that makes it harder for users;
whether another choice to make, another configuration option, or a more
cpu-expensive operation is more than likely to be considered a bad move.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/