[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Oct 31 09:35:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:> Why add Post Formats to
WordPress core? Practically anyone can do the same with a custom
taxonomy. Aye, the value of post formats is not in the implementation,
its in the standard.

Different case that I don't think applies here. The value isn't in the
standard, because you're talking about loading custom configuration,
which is inherently non-standard.

You're wanting a way to load different configs based on parameters
which will very likely be specific to your own setup. Anything core
does in this regard isn't going to match your setup or needs
precisely. And realistically, you're not talking about some epic level
of code here. You're basically wanting to get the domain name,
probably from the $_SERVER variable somehow, then to check for a file
and include it if it exists. Like, probably 3 lines of code, but code
which is going to be customized or different for any given
individual's setup/workflow/design-pattern/etc...

Custom configuration is exactly what the wp-config.php file is there
for. It doesn't have to be just a few simple settings. I've setup many
sites with some varied wp-config.php files in there for various
reasons. Having it include some other file is not strange.

-Otto