[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Sat Oct 29 23:46:31 UTC 2011

On 10/29/2011 08:23 AM, Mike Little wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 15:51, sam auciello<info at samauciello.com>  wrote:
>
>> If I may put in my two cents to the absolute vs relative uri debate.  I am
>> a relative newb to the web dev world and most of my work with WP is for
>> single sites for small businesses that may or may not want a blog.
>> Basically we use WP as a CMS becuase it's light-weight and easy to use.
>> For this reason, I've only recently started using version control systems.
>> My typical workflow is
>>
>> 1. Client hires me to upgrade their site to WP
>> 2. I create a WP installation at example.com/wp and set up the necessary
>> themes/plugins etc.
>>
> Here's the bit where you are going wrong! By doing this you are *creating*
> the pain. And relative URLs would not stop this.
>
> See my  tips (below) (and in one of these threads) for making it easy to
> transfer from development site to live site

I've run into this same issue a few times and become frustrated,
especially since I didn't think about doing the search and replace with
a script, wasn't enough of a problem yet to care enough. That seems to
be the best solution, especially considering that it would only need to
be done once, and not to leave the links "undefined" and then each web
request, and the editor, would need to determine them.