[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Sat Oct 29 01:59:55 UTC 2011

Mike Little, I know I said I'd drop the topic on this list, but I didn't want to ignore your requests for information.

You can look at the patch I referenced, you'll see line numbers and file names, there are a lot of references so it's just easier to look here...
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/19037/ssl.patch

Everything that passes through things like get_site_url in link-template.php, self_link in feed.php, class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php etc gets processed, and there are a bunch of links that go through those low level functions.

You can see how many actually get processed by looking at each of the filters I attach to in the plugin I created to support root-relative urls:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/root-relative-urls/
Add a debugging statement in each of the filter functions to see how many times they are called per page load, you might be surprised.

Alternatively you can grep for is_ssl\( and you'll see just about every reference to the post-processing that occurs on every system url.

It is not just 1% of rss feed content links versus 0% overhead now, each of those links is processed on page load when they don't have to under a root-relative architecture.  But I won't continue to persuade anyone anymore on this list I'm truly sorry.

However, if anyone would like to continue and honest discussion on this topic I can be reached at marcus.pope at springbox.com

Thanks,
Marcus