[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Oct 28 22:45:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 23:22, Marcus Pope <Marcus.Pope at springbox.com>wrote:

> Yes, I will, and I'm sorry for saying every single url, I corrected myself
> in another reply to say it does not correct content urls.  But grep for
> http/https and is_ssl to see what I am referring to.  The wordpress core
> processes those urls to substitute the scheme when served over SSL.  There
> are four strategies at use: str_replace, preg_replace, parse_url and substr.
>
> That is post-processing that happens on the wordpress core.  I have
> recently submitted a patch to abstract the copy-pasted logic into a central
> function for future refactoring.

But these are *not* content URLs with one exception (see below), so the
whole point of your argument has just been blown away. The current situation
is that for *every single* consumer of your content, the absolute urls work,
no processing required.
Your suggestion to move to relative urls and post-process for the cases that
need it therefore is, by definition, extra work required that wasn't there
before.
When I say the majority of cases, I don't mean users, or website owners or
developers or designers, I mean each and every single request for content.
On wordpress.com alone, that stands at 2.5 billion page views per month. If
only 1% of that figure were feed readers, that's 25 million requests that
need the extra processing, versus none now.

Holding that up against a relative handful of developers needing to deploy
from test to live or dev to live a few times a month at most, and it doesn't
stand up.

And from, your own descriptions, if you have untranslated live content on a
test server, then, in my opinion, you are doing it wrong.

(the one exception I can see is displaying the theme header page, where the
absolute url of the header image, may need to be changed (http -> https), if
you are running your admin under https.

Mike
--
Mike Little