[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Fri Oct 28 17:34:40 UTC 2011

> Please do check out the past discussions on this subject to see why relative URLs do *not* work for everyone (hint: think
> about RSS readers where 'relative' is relative to the downloaded XML, or feed aggregators where relative is relative to the
> aggregator site).

Mike, many rss readers support root relative URL's, they do this by processing the relative links from the root domain found in the RSS > Channel > Link node the same way search engine spiders do when they process your html content.

But you are correct, many readers don't do the proper method so in those cases you can add the domain link programmatically when (and only when) you are exporting content (either via xml, rss, or any other export format you choose.)  Adding it when you create the content (versus only when you export) leads to dozens of technical hurdles that the WP core hacks away to try and solve - grep for HTTPS in the code base and you'll see one of many glaring problems with their absolute URI strategy.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to adjust the perception of a practice that is used extensively throughout the web industry (the proper use of root relative urls that is.)