[wp-hackers] Better approach for post formats

Dagan Henderson Dagan.Henderson at epyllion.com
Mon Oct 24 16:06:52 UTC 2011

Ah the joys of an open-source project. Adding new features like Formats is pretty much par for the course in open-source/community projects. Several developers have similar wants that more or less align around Formats, so the feature gets added. Then it takes a version or two to pound out the details of what people really want to see. If you look at the history of the Internet, you'll see that's exactly how it evolves (consider the histories of HTML, CSS and JavaScript), so it's hard to throw stones here.

Also, the Twenty Eleven theme is typically used as an example of how developers can employ new features, and post formats are no exception. IMHO, the clear usage is varied CSS formatting on the front end, not different input fields on the backend. Formats are the same content fields formatted differently. If what you're looking for is totally different fields, you may want to consider different post types instead--that's where the complete customization lies. Again, IMHO, I actually think the UI is much friendlier if very different content is published via different sub-panels (e.g. a "status update" is one sub-panel and a "post" is another), which is accomplished through post types, not formats.