[wp-hackers] Enhancements to Settings API

Ade Walker photofantaisie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 15:42:22 UTC 2011

Chip,

2011/10/21 Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>

> First, I would recommend following/contributing to Trac Ticket
> #18285<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18285>for Settings
> API-related changes.

Thanks for the link - very useful.

> Second, IMHO, settings that use markup other than that ascribed by core are
> Doing It Wrong. Reasonable minds will disagree,

Yes, I disagree. :-)

> but I believe that
> Themes/Plugins should be emulating core UI as much as possible.

I agree with that, but I don't think the API should preclude allowing
deviations altogether. I think it comes down to extensibility - keeping
default behaviour which 100% fits in to the WP way, but allowing
customisation when required. In the particular use case I'm working with,
which requires tabs in order to make a reasonable user experience for the
settings page, I am effectively blocked from using the full Settings API -
which I think is a shame. (Having said that, I need to think through the
suggestion in Otto's reply.)

Anyway, I'll check that ticket and see which way the wind is blowing on this
subject.

Cheers.