[wp-hackers] AWE

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Tue Oct 4 03:09:10 UTC 2011

> If posts are two-way, the need for comments reduces. Since one post could be in reply to another post.
> Though details would need to be worked out with this. This would also mean that in order to reply two
> people would need to be subscribed to each other, and also solving the problem of bots spamming comments.

Yeah, tis something to think about.  There has to be easy handling in a commentless scenario but also common sense allowable as well.

>> I think your promotion would be better served with quotes and then "This is why, dear my community, this is important to US!" Copying an excerpt is (pretty much always in my experience) the way to go.  Then you personalize it.  Otherwise you'd kinda invented the robo-call of the blogging world.
>
> I don't think an excerpt is enough, because then you're required to go to the other post to view it in full, and not function like a feed reader. While it could be a good option, in addition.

And yet... A promotion is to draw the reader to the 'source' right?  If Ford wants to slap promotions of my cool car blog, their end goal is more visitors for THEM.  My end goal is more readers for me.  In the middle we have the work of "I'll link to you and tell people to go visit you, BUT I want them to make a pit stop to learn how super cool I am too!"  Quid pro quo, Clarice.

Which goes back to the comments issue.  In a self-contained network, this isn't a problem (or rather, it's a problem, but far easier to handle).  In the wild word, if I'm pulling in content from another site, it has to be beneficial to ME, and comments drive community on your own site. I do know that's not your intended use case (or not one you mentioned) but it's something to think about for elegant growth.