[wp-hackers] AWE

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Tue Oct 4 02:47:42 UTC 2011

On 3 Oct 2011, at 9:35:01PM, Brian Layman wrote:

> On 10/3/2011 10:28 PM, Braydon wrote:
>>
>> I've turned indexing off with my experiment locally ( http://braydon.com/network/ ) because of search engine spamming, and don't mind not having my site indexed. I've also tried not having permanent links for cross-posts (a.l.a.) the live feed bottom right at Poobah.com, which is just an RSS reader.... What I have setup at http://halocyan.com/community only copies an excerpt. So non of these are having those issues.
>
> While your goals may be to create information for communities, I think this plugin would quickly be abused. I'm sure it is something that the URL resellers and domain parkers will absolutely love. It will get content for their sites so they can build some page rank before they bleed someone dry on the sale of the domain.  Overdone this would create a bunch of sites that are exactly identical except for the url and maybe theme. So you could create a bunch of entry points to the same content you are selling - "work for google from home" sites will love this.   A practical use of this might be an ad network whose distributed content never goes away - but if you experienced Google's wrath on text link ads, post text ads sure won't be appreciated more.
>
> Maybe I'm just seeing the ways this would be abused, or I'm simply not a member of your target audience, but I think you're gonna have some convincing to do to get buy-in from the community at large.

When you couple abuse with the fact that participation DROPS with auto-generated content (see the 70% drop off reported in Facebook likes for auto-posted links), you've got a very niche audience.  I can see using this in an internal network, but I'm not sure that two way posting would be as effective since you'd lose any comments between the sites (and my current buggaboo with sharing content between teams at work has been how to retain comments and edits so you only have ONE place to update the ding dang stuff and not MORE).

But with this:

> In the same way that people will post links of WordPress posts to Social
> Media websites, the goal of this is to automatically cross-post to a
> community of websites for promotional purposes and is a distributed
> method for online marketing campaigns.

I think your promotion would be better served with quotes and then "This is why, dear my community, this is important to US!" Copying an excerpt is (pretty much always in my experience) the way to go.  Then you personalize it.  Otherwise you'd kinda invented the robo-call of the blogging world.