[wp-hackers] AWE

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Tue Oct 4 01:43:56 UTC 2011

On 10/3/11 9:39 PM, Braydon wrote:
> Having it be a plugin that comes with WordPress, like Akismet, as an
> alternative distribution to make setup faster and easier. I am
> planning on using this plugin for all my development going forward,
> and would like it to be as optimized as possible.
I would suggest removing this one from your plan. The core team
eventually intends to unbundle Akismet from core and probably shift to
more of a "featured" plugin model for functionality that the core team
recommends but doesn't think belongs in core itself. As it was discussed
at last year's core team meetup, Akismet will stay bundled until such
time as we have a more generic antispam plugin that could plug in to any
service (not Just Akismet), but in the meantime, we don't want to ship
without an anti-spam solution. There are no plans to bundle any
additional plugins.