[wp-hackers] Blatant Copying of Plugin Code

Mike Bijon mike at etchsoftware.com
Mon Oct 3 19:52:09 UTC 2011

@jhay

I remember WordPress.org stopped distribution of some plugins after they
were reported for including spam/viruses (the whole base64 cleanup a while
back). I would assume the same would happen here with removed plugins:
* Mainly the auto-updates would stop working and the plugin would disappear
from the .org plugin directory
* No users with the plugin installed would have the plugins deleted from
their servers
* The plugin author might be warned, or have their .org account deleted

And, since WordPress is more-complete now than a few years ago, there might
even be some notice given to users via the Plugins page.
(I'd have to review the code in core to see if that's supported - if not,
that's a good idea for a new feature.)

-Mike