[wp-hackers] changing the built in categories label on the add post screen

IC IC icwordpress at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 23:18:45 UTC 2011

When you unregister, what happens to the existing categories that have been
created?

Shall I just run this at the twentyten functions.php?

add_action( 'init', 'unregister_taxonomy');
function unregister_taxonomy(){
    global $wp_taxonomies;
    $taxonomy = 'category';
    if ( taxonomy_exists( $taxonomy))
        unset( $wp_taxonomies[$taxonomy]);
}

and after that, go find the post.php and change the label from categories
to topics? is that a safe thing to do ?
wouldn't this go away when we update the wordpress core though?

I want the label topics to stay permanently regardless of the updates..