[wp-hackers] Splitting wordpress export files

Alexander Concha alex at buayacorp.com
Sat May 28 22:00:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Tyler Gillies <tjgillies at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tyler, I've seen a couple tools (http://www.rangerpretzel.com/content/view/20/1/ is one) but I've never had a lot of luck with them.
> Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out
>>
>> What I commonly do to huge XML files for import is manually split them into manageable sizes and then ensure the head data is copied back into each. Good luck! Let us know if you find anything automatic.
>>
> I'm working on my own script in ruby to do just this, i'll post it to github then link in this thread when its done

I've been playing a little bit with the wordpress importer. I made
some changes, it uses plupload to upload big files. The backup file is
also read and imported progressively. I only made some tests with
dummy backup files (38MB and 185 MB) on an old laptop. My php
configuration:
memory_limit = 32M
upload_max_filesize = 10M
post_max_size = 20M

Yes, it was slow, but the importer didn't die.

If you are interested, you can grab the code from
http://www.buayacorp.com/files/wordpress/wp-large-upload.zip
There are many things that may be improved.
--
Alexander Concha
http://www.buayacorp.com