[wp-hackers] /extend repo requirements

Glenn Pegden glenn at pegden.com
Thu May 19 15:14:51 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'll start off by putting my cards on the table, I work for a commercial
WordPress plugin developer who until recently released all it's code under a
non-GPL compliant license. But it's not all bad news, we have been looking
for ways to fit in with Automattic's wishes on this and release our code
under a GPL compliant license whilst still protecting our business model
(we're a professional studio of 6 full time people). We had hoped to make a
big announcement of the switch at WordCampUK (as well as acting as sponsors)
but whilst the organiser was keen, the enquiries we made to Automattic about
how the license change over could be handled in a mutually beneficial way,
didn't get even a courtesy response..

However, whilst that background is relevant, the actual question I have is
regarding the extend plugin directory. I'm sure it has always been a case of
"no commercial plugins of any type, regardless of license", but a blog post
at
http://www.cybersprocket.com/2011/blog/wordpress-plugins-charging-a-fee-is-not-gpl-compliant/
has
made me question that. Certainly I agree that
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/ doesn't seem to make any
exclusion of commercial plugins (assuming they are GPL licensed), has the
text recently changed or was I dreaming? If Automattic's stand point is no
to commercial plugins of any type in extend" then shouldn't it be explicitly
stated, otherwise shouldn't commercial plugins be allowed?

Obviously my personal preference would be the latter, hell I don't think the
majority of commercial plugin developers would even object to Automattic
taking a cut of each sale. As we are now trying to "play nice" with
Automattic and have released our latest plugin (an invite / social media
promotion system, inviteape <http://www.inviteape.com/>) under the GPL
(we're charging for downloads and support, similar to Gravity Forms and WPMU
Dev) as a bit of an experiment to see if it's worth considering with
our Membership
Plugin <http://www.yourmembers.co.uk/> which currently generates the
majority of our WordPress derived revenue it would be great for us and
others to have a definitive answer as at the moment it appears to be down to
individual moderators on what does and doesn't get in.

Some clarification on this would be great.

Regards,

Glenn

--

Glenn Pegden
Sales Director

NewMedias is a trading name of Coding Futures Ltd

Coding Futures Ltd
The Tannery
91 Kirkstall Road
Leeds
LS3 1HS

Company House Registration Number:  07350515
Company Registered in England and Wales

Contact Telephone: +44(0)113 2473850

The contents of this email is for the named parties, if you have
receieved this email in error please accept our apologises. Unless
separately mentioned the content of the email are considered private with
content belonging to the authors.