[wp-hackers] Time to change GUID to UUID?

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Sun May 8 14:38:47 UTC 2011

Lynn, using your example the only real way to guarantee global uniqueness
for the GUIDs would be to use some kind of external service that keeps
track.  I say this, because even hashes can (theoretically) repeat for
different content.

Some suggestions I've seen for making GUIDs into real GUIDs (in this thread
and in the past:

   - Use the UUID feature of MySQL
   - Hash the URL of the post
   - Hash the URL of the post with a hash of the content
   - Hash the URL of the post with the site name as a salt

In isolation, none of these can be guaranteed as unique against other sites.
 If we were to use one of any of them, we'd still potentially run into your
problem of person B taking over an abandoned site and ending up with a GUID
that duplicates a value used by the previous site owner.  True, it'd be a
rare case, but a real possibility.

I agree that we should make GUIDs resemble something other than a URL and
that they should be unique across a site ... but do we also want them to be
unique across an entire multisite network?  Across all WordPress blogs?  If
we want to make them unique between different sites ... what's the best way
to do that?