[wp-hackers] avoiding of using phpThumb / timThumb

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Mar 31 17:38:08 UTC 2011

Using add_image_size is indeed the correct way to go, but the real question
is why would you need "tens" of image sizes? Are you really displaying the
same image in ten different places, ten different sizes?

If some of these sizes are similar or close enough together, then you can
use a combination of image resizing and browser resizing. Let's say I only
have it generate three image sizes normally. Then I try to display an image,
but instead of passing it a size, I pass it an array(width,height). This
works, but what it does internally is that it looks at what image sizes it
has, grabs the one that's closest (but bigger), does the scaling math, and
then pops back an IMG tag with the width and height set correctly, but using
that slightly larger image. This makes the browser itself scale the image
down, giving me the best approximation and not requiring me to do all the
server resizing and such.

Realistically, you're not going to run out of execution time with "tens" of
image sizes though. It can generally handle it just fine. I've gone up to
six for a site with no significant problems. Resizing isn't a slow
operation, it's just heavy on temporary memory usage.

-Otto