[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Document Management

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Thu Mar 31 14:31:42 UTC 2011

I think this is a fantastic idea, mostly because existing document
management systems are so lacking in features and control.

I'm concerned a bit about managing document revisions with the WordPress
revisioning system.  The first time I read your description, I was guessing
you meant a user would be able to view some sort of diff between document
revisions within WordPress itself.  Considering the sheer number of document
formats in use, it seems almost impossible to have this kind of rich
functionality (so correct me if you've already got one working).  As I
thought about it more, I came to think you might just have different
versions of an attachment hooked to different revisions within WordPress,
thus keeping a full history of changes.  My concern here is storing the
files.  A heavily-modified document could have several versions of itself
with only minor changes living on the server.

So ... basically I'm asking for more detail about *how* you want to extend
the revision and attachment functionality to handle attachment revisions.
 It's an impressive concept, and one I'd like to see more fleshed out.

Other than that, I think this is a fantastic idea and I look forward to
seeing a more complete GSoC application from you!

~Eric