[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Document Management

Jacob Gillespie me at jacobwg.com
Thu Mar 31 04:14:30 UTC 2011

Mike,

First-off, let me say thank you for your contributions by sharing your
WordPress knowledge with the community on StackExchange - we need more
people who are willing like you to provide your knowledge of WordPress for
free to those of us who can benefit.

Second, I just wanted to let you know that, from my point of view, I don't
see Jane's comments as in any way insinuating that you have diabolical
intent or possess an anti-WordPress agenda.  On the contrary, you seem to
have a genuine desire to see this project in core "done right."  After all,
as you have said, you have seen a real life need for this kind of thing in
your client work.

However, what it seems that Jane is trying to say is that in GSoC, while the
code quality is important, the learning process is the goal.  GSoC provides
students the opportunity to present a project idea, be mentored while
completing that project, and in the process learning much about project
management, coding, and in general working in the open source ecosystem.

True - design and code are important, but hey, the students get to work with
some of the core devs.  So then, the core goal of GSoC is learning.  That's
what I got from what Jane said.

It looks like you both agree that building the complete perfected
document/revision manager is probably outside the scope of what can be done
over a summer (or maybe Benjamin's a guy who codes gold 24/7, awake and
asleep), but this is open source, so the beauty of it is that others will
come along and contribute.

I'm sure that Benjamin would love to hear any specific challenges that you
have faced attempting to implement this feature for your client sites.

But, this is all just my opinion... just mainly wanted to let you know that
I don't view Jane's comments as personal attacks on yourself at all, but
only trying to clarify GSoC's purpose.

Benjamin, this sounds like a pretty sweet idea!  If I was going to pick one
of the items on the list to see done, I'd probably pick the first one
(extending
WP's revisions and attachment functionality to handle revisions to attachments)
- it would be really nice to see the whole post/attachment revisions model
become unified.  That's just me, though.

Jacob

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net