[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Document Management

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Mar 31 03:18:16 UTC 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Jane Wells wrote:
>> So my concern with his proposal was that it would be incredibly valuable, probably the best I've seen, but only if done right.
> The core developers of WordPress, the people who make up the mentorship group, are the people best able to judge if something is done "right" according to our coding standards.
>
>> Frankly, I have clients who want some of the exact things his proposal specified.
> Then you should built it yourself or hire someone to do it, not try to get a student who's hoping to take advantage of a mentorship opportunity with completely different goals to do it for you. Come on, man. This is going too far and crossing a line.
>
>> Further my belief is that no one single mentor, myself included, could offer him enough experience to do a good job on the entirety of his proposal; its scope is just too large.
> All projects will have two mentors plus additional backup mentors. Please try not to insult the experience of a lot of people who are volunteering their time, many of whom you don't even know, in pursuit of your own agenda.
>
>> I guess my point of asking for experience is to shine a light on the need for lots of experience for a project of that magnitude.
> It just isn't really the place of this list to grill students about their experience. They will include their experience in their application, where it will be reviewed by the mentors. The purpose of posting to this list is to get feedback on the ideas and code approaches. Posting to wp-hackers is not a job interview.

Jane, it's amazing how you take what I say, envision diabolical intent and then twist it to sounds like nothing I intended. It's as if you look for opportunities to do so.  The only "agenda" I have is to see the CMS use-case improve. Your assertions are insulting and if you've seen the work I've done for clients that rarely uses anyone else's code other than core you'd know your assertions are baseless. It is you that crosses the line by insinuating these things without a shred of actual evidence. Clearly you discount all the things I have do for free[1] to help those who use WordPress professionally, and you damage me by insinuating that I'm pursuing an anti-WordPress agenda.

I don't know what I specifically did to you or when I did it such that you come out attacking every time I tried to contribute here but whatever it is I apologize. Life's too short.

-Mike
[1] http://bit.ly/b8ONQf