[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011

Thomas Van Eyck thomas.vaneyck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:24:06 UTC 2011

Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel <at> newclarity.net> writes:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Thomas Van Eyck wrote:
> > Also, lets agree that NextGen gallery is a good example of some of the
> > functionality user want. I don't understand than why they don't use this
> > limitless schema ;)
>
> NextGen is no panacea regarding its database schema.  Just look at the
sortorder field in wp_ngg_album.

Agreed, and my intention was not to say that it is. My point is that to
implement this kind of functionality the current schema doesn't suffice. Not
even as a basis, extended with some tables, which I think it should. Saying that
its not bad, doesn't make it good, and it doesn't mean that there is no room for
improvement.

Other plugins are often similar. I think its at least worth checking out their
db schema, and seeing why they don't use the core one. The effect described
before is really annoying for the user and does not really make sense.

> > Post != media.
>
> But post==element_of_content.  Creating another table to storing attachments
in another location is not
> the solution.  Adding metadata might be.

I don't know the exact best solution. Adding metadata to the posts table isn't I
think. Perhaps extending the metadata table is. Depends on how much you want to
keep in the core. And what do you mean to say with post == element_of_content?
Not that its not true, I don't see how it helps in itself.