[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011

scribu mail at scribu.net
Thu Mar 31 00:57:52 UTC 2011

> For starters, there is a lot more to say about a media file than just what
> the
> table says now, and no point in filtering/sorting metadata that isn't there
> begin with. Even with the wp_postmeta table, it looks even more forced in.

There already is a wealth of metadata stored in wp_postmeta (including EXIF
information), but it's crammed under a single key: wp_attachment_metadata.

Besides that, there's nothing inherently limiting about the current schema.

I assume the entire media support was added this way to benefit from the
> comments
> support throughout the rest of the code. Furthermore, the other mentioned
> features are missing or incomplete. The DB part is one thing, the API to
> manage
> it is another.

No, it was done this way precisely to benefit from the API you think is
missing: get_posts(), add_post_meta(), register_taxonomy() etc. etc.

--
http://scribu.net