[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011

Thomas Van Eyck thomas.vaneyck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:12:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am interested in participating in GSoC. I know I am rather late, in 8 days we
have to file the proposal but I would still like to try. I've been looking at
the WP ideas page and I like two ideas.

One is working around Media. Me personally I see myself working more on the
backend then on the frontend, although I guess this is open for discussion :-)
I've been looking at the architecture of WP, reading what I could find, and I
think media can still be improved. The other one is the moving of WP to another
server/domain. I know right now its possible to export the blog, but like the
idea mentions it can still be simplified a lot.

As far as the media idea goes, I don't think the WP core needs more gallery
features and stuff like that, at least not now. I think a stronger backend is
needed, providing a very strong foundation to build some management
functionality on. This is all that should be added to the core. The current
frontend features such as galleries could be kept for now. Any other features
could then be implemented using plugins.

To clarify this a little bit. I see one central storage point in the WP core for
all media. This would for instance mean a basic table in the DB, with a record
for each media item. The files would still be stored on disk, although sub
folders should best be supported to keep things manageable. Using a table like
that, would mean that files can be moved around without breaking things higher
up. Some form of taxonomization should be supported, be it using categories,
tags, posts, etc. This would than allow, together with some extra meta data, to
provide more enhanced searching, filtering and sorting in the Admin area.

I am aware that this sounds like a heavy proposal, but in fact the goal would be
to keep things light and fast, assuming that more advanced functionality is
built on top using plugins. If anything the design should be future proof, so
future extensions don't break so much the existing code.

The time would thus be spend on getting to know the core better, classifying
current and future requirements for the new core, designing a solution that
fits, and then implementing it.
The implementation will require a several weeks, depending on how much of the
user interface is changed to make use of the new core right away. The start, the
getting to know the core better as well as the classifying requirements would
happen in parallel. The same amount of time or more would be needed, spending at
least 3 weeks here. The design would then happen in between. So about 40% phase
one, 25% phase two, and 35% phase three.

I haven't given the other idea about moving/changing domain name of the blog
that much thought. I can see how it can be made better from a users point of
view, but am not quite sure yet how this should be realized technically. In case
my other proposal doesn't fit at all in the roadmap set out for WP, I will look
some more into this idea.

Thank you for your time. Looking forward to receiving some feedback on this
idea.

Regards,

Thomas Van Eyck