[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Revamp WordPress theme / plugin code editor

Gary Cao garyc40 at garyc40.com
Mon Mar 28 02:23:23 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm preparing my application fro GSoC this year. It would be great to have some feedback from WP hackers for my idea. Below you can find the excerpt. The proposal is long, so please take some time to read the full version at http://www.garyc40.com/?p=150

Thanks!

Gary.

Overview (tl;dr)

One day I came across this ticket (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12423), and decided that this would make a good component of my GSoC proposal. In addition to restoring code highlighting when editing theme / plugin, I also want to revamp the user interface of this feature so that it’s easier to use and more pleasant to look at.

I don’t intend to make this feature comparable to a full fledged text editor that lives within WordPress. Instead, the aim is to make it more usable and convenient for small code editing tasks that don’t require much server side debugging.

This can be implemented as a plugin, and later integrated into core if desirable.

A very rough mock-up of the proposed UI: http://www.garyc40.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Editor.png

Full proposal: http://www.garyc40.com/?p=150