[wp-hackers] Health Index - GSoC 2011

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Sat Mar 26 18:14:57 UTC 2011

On 3/26/11 1:51 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2011, at 1:37 PM, scribu<mail at scribu.net>  wrote:
>> So get over yourself.
> Why so harsh? Is it necessary to be nasty to someone new and who is attempting to contribute just because they don't understand the process?
>
> -Mike
English is not scribu's first language, and I'm sure he didn't mean to
come across that way. He asked me what the right response was for
someone afraid of posting an idea to hackers for fear of idea theft, and
while I told him the stuff about the date of hackers emails showing who
originated an idea when (not that we have ever actually had that
problem), I also started with a semi-joking "they should get over the
idea of theft in an open source environment." The "get over" was
probably reused and wound up sounding harsh, due to the difference in
meaning based on sentence construction and object (get over yourself
sounds harsh and personal, get over the idea of theft does not). I
believe scribu wanted to be encouraging and it just came out wrong.

The process is pretty clearly stated on the Codex page, specifically in
the application template, which includes an area for referencing
when/how a student has discussed ideas on wp-hackers.