[wp-hackers] GSoC Idea

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Wed Mar 23 03:03:43 UTC 2011

Thats something :)
About backing up WP, the user will need to have another server which stores
the data.
(We can do it for the same server also but in that case alien attacks,
server crashes, exploits which wipe out data (Like the one I had :( ) and
natural disasters in server location wont save the user)
and almost defeat the purpose of the plugin.
Not many people have a server and php installed and configured on local so
either we give them a readymade installer and clear instructions to set one
up at home or we make them buy another hosting package (cloud / VCS host /
otherwise)
I am totally in for the versioning system and probably push to a private
repo on github or the like in other VCS. but the problem there is not all
hosts have any version control system installed, let alone a specific one.

A really cool project would be making one with the Diff class and md5 hash
:) (Template versioning extended?)
But for keeping WP backed up and up to date with its backups, we'll need
objects and files flying to the backup server. (daily / hourly cron??)

Another option to consider here is use of (html5) localstorage? ( If I
remember correctly we had some firefox extension for offline access right?)

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:

> Hey,
> I was reading latest conversations about possible ideas for this GSoC,
> and thought I could ask about a project I would like to have in
> WordPress plugins repo.
>
> Coming from last year idea about moving WordPress, I would love to have
> a tool like VaultPress [1]. Basically to have this done, you will have
> to steal, err... learn, from VaultPress project possible features, look
> and feel. :)
>
> I would love to see a tool that:
> * exports all the data, settings, theme and plugins
> * uses some versioning backend (say git or other scm, I think I don't
> have to explain what would be the benefits of using this kind of
> approach)
> * does everything on it's own (so I won't care if the data is synced or
> not)
> * restores all the data with one click
> * has triggers to send me reports if core files changed (like in case of
> security holes from hosting providers) or other things of this kind
>
> In some words an OpenSource VaultPress that I will be able to set
> (absolutely freely) on my blog, connect it with my other server in the
> other galaxy, and don't care about `Aliens` :)
>
> A success story of this kind might be SparkleShare, an OpenSource
> replacement for DropBox[2].
>
> Currently there are a couple of this kind of plugins that backup data to
> Amazon/Rackspace/DropBox/Ftp, but all those hardly cover, at least, my
> 1st requirement.
>
> Feedback welcome.
>
> [1]: http://vaultpress.com/
> [2]: http://sparkleshare.org/