[wp-hackers] GSoC Idea

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Wed Mar 23 01:49:37 UTC 2011

Hey,
I was reading latest conversations about possible ideas for this GSoC,
and thought I could ask about a project I would like to have in
WordPress plugins repo.

Coming from last year idea about moving WordPress, I would love to have
a tool like VaultPress [1]. Basically to have this done, you will have
to steal, err... learn, from VaultPress project possible features, look
and feel. :)

I would love to see a tool that:
* exports all the data, settings, theme and plugins
* uses some versioning backend (say git or other scm, I think I don't
have to explain what would be the benefits of using this kind of
approach)
* does everything on it's own (so I won't care if the data is synced or
not)
* restores all the data with one click
* has triggers to send me reports if core files changed (like in case of
security holes from hosting providers) or other things of this kind

In some words an OpenSource VaultPress that I will be able to set
(absolutely freely) on my blog, connect it with my other server in the
other galaxy, and don't care about `Aliens` :)

A success story of this kind might be SparkleShare, an OpenSource
replacement for DropBox[2].

Currently there are a couple of this kind of plugins that backup data to
Amazon/Rackspace/DropBox/Ftp, but all those hardly cover, at least, my
1st requirement.

Feedback welcome.

[1]: http://vaultpress.com/
[2]: http://sparkleshare.org/