[wp-hackers] [GSoC 2011] Intention for application

Mihai Chereji mihai.chereji at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:23:08 UTC 2011

     Hello, my name's Mihai Chereji and I'm an undergraduate Software
Engineering student from Cluj-Napoca, Romania.

     I'm really interested in participating in GSoC (and general
involvement in WP) from this summer.

     There are 2 of the proposed ideas which caught my eye. I'm also
working on my own idea.

     I'm interested in working on the Moving WP idea, as this has been a
bane for me as a WP dev for some time. (moving client sites from local
to production servers). I realize this isn't the only use case; However
I'd like to take this a step further: a plugin for syncing/moving a dev,
a staging, and a production server for the same site, using whichever
protocol's available (ftp or ssh).

     Why not use some sort of scm,you ask? I haven't been able to find
something similar (and easy) for the database, and that is part of the
pain, actually. This plug-in would allow to push/pull files,
databases/content, together or separately, to any of the other servers
configured for a particular install.

However, this is prety similar to Mike Schinkel's already existing
plugin (which he just posted -
http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/119/easily-move-a-wordpress-install-from-development-to-production/182#182
), so I'm not sure this could fill an entire GSoC time-frame, so I'm
probably going to focus on my other proposals.

I'm also interested in updating the file uploader to use the File API,
where available (falling back to the flash uploader/simple uploader).
I'm figuring searching for a capable library (or write my own, in case
nothing surfaces - highly unlikely) should be done before the actual
coding period begins.

This could be extended to doing simple file manipulation straight on the
client - resizing images so he doesn't send huge images to his site,
saving bandwidth, maybe cutting an audio file to the length he needs
before sending it up. Simple things which would save the user some
hassle. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thanks,

Mihai