[wp-hackers] wpautop is NOT the problem.

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Mar 18 18:31:38 UTC 2011

My policy is to make sure all content works in both types of editor. You can
try to never use the visual editor on a given site, and you can set up a
plugin that temporarily stops a certain undesireable behavior within it, but
you shouldn't count on either solution working forever. Eventually someone
is likely open the post with visual editor enabled and if that will ruin
your content then you have a big problem (and in many cases just opening the
post with the visual editor will break your stuff, be it a special class on
something or a youtube embed that only works in HTML editor).

The only thing we should count on is that in the future anything built to
work with both HTML and Visual editors should continue to work. That's a
reasonable demand to make of the core dev team going forward, and it's
usually not THAT hard to find workarounds for TinyMCE that still make sense.

When in doubt a quick shortcode often does wonders, as can divs with classes
(which tinymce doesn't seem to touch in my experience).

--
Jeremy Clarke • jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design • globalvoicesonline.org