[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Andy Charrington-Wilden andycharrington at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:43:41 UTC 2011

[...]However, I accept that the WordPress community has rightfully defined its
own ethos with respect to acceptable licensing of WordPress Plugins and
Themes.[...]

That hits the nail on the head. Without any actual court cases happening no one really knows the legality of derivative works. The whole thesis debacle went a step closer to defining it but I think all it really proved was the power and influence Matt has.

I'm all for good ethics and morals but unfortunately it is a fact that they are not always conducive to making a living.

For what it's worth my solution was to build a hosted service. No one downloads or even sees my code so there's no worries about people stealing it and reselling. Whilst this solution works for me I understand that it doesn't solve the larger issue if licensing and derivative works.

I think this will keep producing massive threads until either something changes within automatic or a case goes to court......

Jealous Designs
Website: jealousdesigns.co.uk
Portfolio: jealousdesigns.co.uk/portfolio
Phone: 07903030008
Twitter: _a_n_d_y
Skype: andycharrington

Sent from my iPhone