[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Trent Martin trentmar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:21:14 UTC 2011

> (Admittedly, this stance on principle is not much of a sacrifice for me.
The
> food I put on my family's table doesn't in any way depend on anything I
> contribute to the WordPress community.)

Unfortunately, some of us completely depend on our software to put food on
the table and pay the mortgage and it really sucks when someone in Indonesia
starts selling your software for $5 and it is completely legal for them to
do that if it is GPL. I write software for Windows and Microsoft doesn't own
me, why should writing software for WordPress be any different? The stuff I
sell is 100% my own code and I do not derive from WordPress any more than
WordPress derives from Apache. A plugin is not a derivative work and most
legal experts (other than the FSF) agree, but again facts don't make a
difference to the inner circle, either you obey them or you are shunned.

And who says you can't contribute to the community in other ways? I do
provide free plugins and have contributed a number of bug reports. Also, by
creating software that people use, even if it is proprietary, you are still
contributing to the value of the community and to WordPress as a platform.