[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Mar 15 18:08:33 UTC 2011

There are two competing priorities: the legal concerns, and the ethical
concerns. Here's how I've made my peace with the conflict between the two:

I don't think anyone would question my stance on the matter of WordPress
Themes/Plugins being inherently derivative works of WordPress. I've been as
outspoken as anyone on that matter.

However, I accept that the WordPress community has rightfully defined its
own ethos with respect to acceptable licensing of WordPress Plugins and
Themes. I can stand on legal principle and disagree with that ethos - and as
a result, become outcast from the WordPress community; or, I can choose
willingly to give up some of my own freedom and legal rights (of licensing
choice for works for which I own the copyright), in order to conform to the
ethos of the WordPress community.

For me, the choice is easy: I want to be a part of the community, and I want
to give back (what little I am able), in a "pay it forward" sense that makes
licensing my WordPress-related code under GPL. So, I choose to do so.

(Admittedly, this stance on principle is not much of a sacrifice for me. The
food I put on my family's table doesn't in any way depend on anything I
contribute to the WordPress community.)

Others may choose differently, for differing reasons. But I've made my
choice - even as I remain outspoken regarding the lack of copyright case law
precedent for claiming that copyright law considers *dependent* code, absent
any actual incorporation of copyrightable code, to be *derivative* code.

To be sure: what you *believe* matters. But what matters much more are the
*choices* you make, based on what you believe.

Chip