[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sun Mar 13 11:46:59 UTC 2011

Andy Charrington-Wilden wrote:
> I think the bottom line here is that if you want to make money from wordpress do not ask about it on this list.

I make money from WordPress, as do many others, including Automattic.
The key is to sell services, rather than products. I sell plugin
development services. Others do the same, and others sell support
services. Additionally, some sell plugins/themes (take a look at
WooThemes for example).

It's certainly possible to sell products, but it's somewhat harder. My
personal theory is that you need to make it enticing enough that people
will want to buy your plugin instead of merely grabbing a free plugin.
I'll admit, this is harder than it should be. Merely to offer the same
level of support in WordPress itself is harder than it should be (i.e.
automatic updates, etc.), IMHO.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>