[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Sun Mar 13 11:09:55 UTC 2011

On 13 March 2011 10:56, Piyush Mishra <me at piyushmishra.com> wrote:

> I don't think you got the whole idea as I was trying to put it. The source
> code remains open source and ready to contribute for people who already do
> that and it will always be. Why would WordPress close its source anyway?
> Its about those people who write plugins and go all heights to make it paid
> only. They will have to pay WordPress community back in cash.

The only reason for dual licensing would be to place restrictions on some
users. Regardless of the reasons for it, it goes against the philosophy of
the GPL.

Those people who charge for their GPL plugins are free to contribute code
and money (via the foundation) back to WordPress. But *requiring* them to
contribute money so that they can restrict users is not only against the
philosophy it is, in my opinion, morally corrupt.

> A lot of us pay back to the community in one way or the other.
> But there are those who extend WordPress and sell their plugins.
> Check this out:-
> http://www.gravityforms.com/terms-and-conditions/
> try getting the latest version of gforms and this one
> http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/is-it-gpl (yes its true, css files
> aren't covered).
> My point is as WordPress users get helpless in such situations. we should
> keep dual license to take care of that or take some action
> (copyright infringement / demand giving php files out for free)

Users are not helpless, they can choose to use a different plugin or can
even ask someone who has paid for it to give them a copy for free (albeit
without css or graphics).

Personally, I have spent thousands of dollars on paid for plugins and
themes, but I would not spend a penny on a dual licensed one.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/