[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Sun Mar 13 04:05:38 UTC 2011

I didn't know WP was a derivative. I am no lawyer and can't comment on
anything legal here. :(

Why would all contributors not agree?

If they don't agree for double license.
All I can say is, all the contributors are missing out on making WordPress a
far superior blogging s/w / CMS.
The money can be used in making GSoC type internship oppurtunities, you can
hold free online tutorials.
People can be hired to complete the documentation and also to write
alternate WP cores for considering other possibilities and benchmarks.
WP can fund development of some plugins etc like BuddyPress...
We can have LTS versions with a closed paid group focusing on that. Core
plugins can be made possible etc etc etc...
Who would say no to that?

Though no point dreaming now :(

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Ryan McCue <lists at rotorised.com> wrote:

> Chip Bennett wrote:
> > That would be a rather blatant GPL violation. WordPress is a derivative
> of
> > B2, which was licensed under GPL. Therefore, WPF cannot legally license
> > WordPress under anything other than GPL, nor can it distribute obfuscated
> > code without also releasing the cleartext source.
>
> Additionally, there is no copyright assignment, so you would require
> every single person who has contributed to WordPress to agree to
> relicense it. And that's not going to happen. :)
>
> --
> Ryan McCue
> <http://ryanmccue.info/>

Regards