[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

John 3:16 Media wp at john316media.com
Sun Mar 13 03:00:28 UTC 2011

The legalities are quite clear with reguards to css and images, its not
really posssible to claim they are a derivitive work, unlike the code which
is more of a gray area.  Reguardless my intrest is in how the wordpress
community feels about the practice of licensing css and images seperatly.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Iain Cambridge <backie at backie.org> wrote:

> To be honest asking a bunch of developers about licensing isn't a smart
> idea, while at the mention of licenses we all appear to become lawyers this
> isn't the case. I personally disagree with WordPress.org statement that any
> plugin is a derived from WordPress therefore falls under the GPL license
> others agree whole heartly. If you're looking to sell Premium plugins and
> are wondering what your options are licensing wise ask a copyright lawyer
> or
> just look at previous discussions.
>
> Iain
>
> On 12 March 2011 01:58, John 3:16 Media <wp at john316media.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  Because I was looking at gravity forms and while the php
> code
> > is gpl, their images and css arent according to their terms page.  The
> > plugin is a support ticket system.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Blue Chives <info at bluechives.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > We buy a range of premium plugins and themes, often to support the
> > author.
> > >  However the one thing that will make us not use / buy is this
> > > gpl/restricted license style.  Offer it for sale, but supply it as
> > > completely gpl cf gravity forms or shopp or even release free cf
> > > wp-ecommerce.
> > >
> > > From the POV of earning from it have a hosted demo and offer the
> product
> > > for sale.
> > >
> > > Ref your signature what does the plugin do?
> > >

> > > BTW Plugins that require ion cube or similar to run are always off the
> > > shopping list.

> > > research
> > > particular
> licensed

> > here
> > final

I'm working on a support ticket plugin and I'm looking for users to test and
provide feedback on it.  Will bribe anyone who helps with a generous
discount on the final product.  Email me off-list if interested.