[wp-hackers] Plug-in Repository Structure

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 15:29:30 UTC 2011

On 3 Mar 2011, at 15:07, Eric Mann wrote:

> Otto, that makes perfect sense and I've run into issues more than once
> (seriously, check my revision history ... lots of "removing bad tag commit"
> messages).  *But* the "offical" docs in the Developer Center actually tell
> you to commit trunk first, then create a tag and commit it.
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/svn/  So if we're supposed to be
> committing tags before committing trunk, someone should update this doc with
> the proper procedure.  To be perfectly honest, this is where I actually *
> started* with version control, and I doubt I'm the only one in that boat ...
> so let's teach people the right way rather than trying to re-educate them
> when we find out they're doing it backwards because that's how we taught it

The correct process is:

Commit changes to trunk.
Commit more changes to trunk
Test trunk
Tag trunk
Update readme.txt in trunk to point to new stable tag.

The important thing is that the readme.txt in trunk should always reference a tag which already exists and is checked in.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5